Puerto Rican ensalada de papa con manzana is a Puerto Rican potato salad with apples recipe that is easy to make and the perfect dish to wow your family, guests, etc. I did not grow up on this version of the dish but now as an adult, I am hooked to this recipe and prefer to eat it this exact way! It can be used as a side dish at events or gatherings, or your own meal at home. It pairs well with your choice of meat (mine would be ribs or steak!). Try out this recipe and let me know what you think in the comments!
What you will need:
- Salted water for boiling
- 2 pounds peeled potatoes, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 small apples ( I prefer Granny Smith), peeled, cored and cut into half inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 Carrot, finely chopped or shredded
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Paprika to garnish
- Cilantro chopped, to garnish
- In a large pot, add in cold water and salt to taste. Add in your potatoes and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, lower your heat to medium high. ( Keep it boiling, but not high enough that it boils over)
- Once your potatoes have cooked to become fork tender ( about 15 mins after your water has started to boil), drain your potatoes.
- Add your potatoes to a bowl, and while it's still hot, drizzle your vinegar and olive oil over it. Let your potatoes cool for a few minutes before adding in your remaining ingredients. Gently toss together to coat your potatoes.
- Garnish with paprika and cilantro, refrigerate for at least a half hour before serving!